Spring Rolls are the top most road side fast food in India after samosas and chaats. Whether it is veg or non veg – both are immensely popular & heavenly delicious when dipped with sauce. I like to munch it any time of the day. It’s light crisp-crackly skin with tender-crisp vegetables & chicken filling – truly enjoyable. It will allow you to taste and distinguish each and every ingredient in the filling.
One or two spring rolls are not sufficient to fill your hunger. So make a bunch of them and freeze it so that whenever you want to bite or you don’t feel like cooking just put them directly freezer to hot oil. Freezer tip is given below.
The recipe is simple with easily available fresh vegetables and chicken. It is quick because I used ready made spring roll sheets. The tricky part is rolling part which you can learn by watching the video. This is a try to make authentic spring rolls. Hope you will like it.
- 1/2 head of small cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots julienne
- 1 cup Bean Sprouts
- 1 big chopped onion
- 500 gm chicken
- 8 – 10 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp red chili sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinade the chicken with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper powder and about 1 tbsp cornflour.
- Put this marinated minced chicken in the hot oil. Keep stirring well else the chicken will stick together and form a lump. You can’t break the lump later. So be careful! Cook on low flame and keep breaking the part.
- Continue cooking till moisture evaporates.
- Once it is done, take out in a bowl and keep aside.
- Next wipe the pan clean and heat 1 tbsp oil again.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger. Saute for few seconds.
Now for onions and saute for a while. You don’t need to make it brown.
- When the onions are translucent add all the veggies – carrot julienne, shredded cabbage and sprouts. You can add any vegetables of your choice but don’t add those vegetables whose water content is too much like tomato because it could make your filling soggy. Just toss them.
- Veggies don’t take much time to cook and I don’t want the veggies are overcooked because they will cook again in lot of hot oil while deep frying the spring rolls. So just make sure they are crunchy when you bite the vegetables. It will take 1-2 minutes all total, not more than that.
- Then add chicken. Toss for a while. I’m not gonna add salt right now because I don’t want the water content of the vegetables oozed out. I will add salt after they are completely cooked.
- After combining them add chopped spring onion.
- Add salt and pepper now and mix well.
- The filling is done. Take out in a plate. Let it come down to room temperature so that you can easily handle it.
- Take one wrapper and place wrapper on a clean, dry surface like diamond.
- Cover rest of the wrapper with towel to keep moist else they will dry out and crack quickly if left uncovered.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling near corner. No more than that! Less filling, the better. Overstuffed spring rolls break apart in the oil.
Fold over the corner. Roll tight.
- Fold over left side. Leave no space or air pockets. Air pockets cause for oil seepage and result is oily roll. I know you don’t want that.
Fold over the other side. And again make sure No air pockets, right!
- Roll up tightly towards the top corner. Brush a little cornstarch slurry along the edge. Close it up. Your spring roll is ready.
- Make some more and prepare oil for deep frying.
- Slide the spring rolls in the hot oil carefully.
- Don’t over-crowd the spring rolls in the pan. They won’t cook evenly.
- Keep flipping it over to get even coloring. Fry until the roll is golden brown.
- The hot, crispy spring rolls are all ready to take out.
- Place them on paper towel to soak the excess oil.
- Once the spring rolls are oil free, garnish as you wish and serve hot with your favorite dip.
For wrapper I used ready made spring roll sheet which is available in most of the leading market. Very easy to use and handy. Instructions are given on the back side. It comes frozen. So you’ll have to defrost it first. Just keep it in the room temperature for 40 minutes to 1 hour. They will defrost naturally and will be ready to use.
Tip for freezing:
Keep the spring rolls all covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Because they dry out easily.
Also make sure the rolls are placed in a single layer only. If you put them on top of each other without layer of plastic wrap between them, they will stick together. You can put another layer of spring rolls on top of the plastic wrap but remember to cover them too.
If you want to freeze spring rolls – freeze them just like this. If you don’t have a freezer this big, then line up the spring rolls on a plate, with plastic wrap between each layer. Then freeze it.