I always try to cook something new to satisfy my family’s taste bud. This time I have tried chicken pulao. This is not too much rich as biriyani but aromatic, simple and have a subtle hint of spices. It’s quite happened at home that you don’t have much time or bored with conventional chicken curry and plain rice, then this pulao is a wonderful option.
It is a one pot comforting meal that doesn’t require any separate accompaniment. You may just serve with papads and raita (if you like).
This is my own recipe sharing with you. I have added potato because it works as a nice accompaniment with this chicken pulao.
- 500 gram basmati rice (approx 2 1/2 cup) [1 cup rice= 200gm]
- 1 kilo chicken
- 2 medium size onion finely sliced
- Ginger-garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Green chili paste: 2tbsp
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 3-4 pods of green cardamom
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 mace
- Few black pepper corns
- 15-20 raisins and cashew nuts
- Few almond flakes
- Sugar: 1/2 tsp
- 2 medium size potato, cut into chunks
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp desi ghee
- 4-5 silted green chilies
- Cooking oil
- Salt & water
- Wash rice and soak in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash the chicken thoroughly and drain excess water. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt.
- In a wok, heat 1 tbsp oil and fry cashew nuts, almonds and raisins. Keep it aside.
- In the same wok, heat ghee/ clarified butter.
- Temper the oil with green cardamom, cinnamon, mace, pepper corns and bay leaves.
- Fry onions till soft and slightly golden brown. Also add salt.
- Add ginger-garlic and green chilli paste.
- When raw smell of ginger-garlic totally went-off, add cumin, coriander and red chilli powder.
- Whisk the yogurt and pour it in the wok. Cook for 2-3 minutes once fat is floating up.
- Add the chicken pieces and potato and cook for 10 minutes on high flame. Chicken should be cooked till 50% done.
- Add 6 cups of water. Check for salt if required.
- When water starts bubbling, add rice, sugar, slited green chilies and some of fried nuts and raisins. Give a gentle stir. Allow to cook on low flame for 20 minutes and Cover the lid.
- Serve with remaining nuts and raisins.