Chicken Tikka Kebab is one of the most popular chicken dish originated in India. Tikka means bits, pieces or chunks. Traditionally boneless chicken cubes marinated in a mix of yogurt and fresh spices and later baked using skewers in a clay-based oven called a tandoor.
But here I’m gonna share oven and microwave method.
Ingredients for masala/ spice powder:
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 5 cardamom
- 7-8 cloves
- 2 cinnamon (2 X 1” pieces)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 dry red chilies
- In a microwave proof bowl add all the ingredients and roast for 1-2 minutes. If you don’t have microwave at home, roast on tawa. Then ground to a fine powder. Store it in an airtight container, so that whenever next time your kabab calls for masala, you can get it around.
Ingredients for marination:
- 500 gm skinless boneless chicken breast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Roasted gram flour or besan.
- 100 gm cup plain hung yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp prepared masala
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bell pepper, tomato and onion cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) melted butter
- 2-3 drops of red food color (optional)
- 12 6- to 8-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes
- Green chutney, onion rings and lemon wedges for serving
Note: what is hung curd?
it is nothing but a well drained curd. the curd contains moisture which may make the mixture runny. So to stop that put the curd on a strainer and let the liquid out completely.
- First make the masala.
- Next roast gram flour or besan. Just take 1tbsp ghee or clarified butter in a pan and fry 2tsp besan until they are little brown and all raw smell gone.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients like 2 tsp kabab masala, hung curd, ginger garlic paste, chopped coriander leaves, kashmiri red chili powder, kasuri methi, roasted gram flour, turmeric powder, 2-3 drops of red food color, salt. Just give a good mix so that the chicken is thoroughly coated with the spices.
- Now add chicken, green bell pepper, onion, tomato and give a nice toss again.
- Cover and refrigerate for at-least 2 hours to overnight.
- Before threading in the skewers drizzle oil and lemon juice to the chicken and mix again.
- Thread chicken, bell pepper, tomato and onion alternatively onto skewers.
- Preheat your oven to a highest temperature at 400 C.
- Place the skewers on the grill racks in your oven and put a tray underneath to catch drippings. Allow it to roast till the chicken is browned on all sides and tender. Turn them around in between and baste with butter to get even coloring. It will take 30 minutes to be cooked.
- Take the microwave grill rack and brush it with oil to prevent sticking. place the skewers. Put a microwave proof container underneath to catch drippings. Set the power mode for 10 minutes and Allow it to cook. After 10 mins set the combi mode for 20 minutes and in the meantime turn over and baste with butter.
- Put the onion rings in a separate bowl. Add coriander leaves and squeeze lime juice over them. Now sprinkle the chaat masala and mix well so the onions are fully coated.
- Serve onion rings, lemon wedges and chutney with chicken tikka.