Chicken tikka masala is the world’s most popular Indian restaurant dish. It is so delicious and popular that it became national dish of Britain. In this recipe, bite size pieces of chicken are marinated in aromatic spices and yogurt, that is then baked in oven to make chicken tikka, and served in a succulent red creamy gravy.
So let’s look at the ingredients first.
For the gravy:
- 500 gm Chicken tikka
- 1 medium-sized onions finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 pods cardamom, 3 cloves, 4 cinnamon sticks and 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp cumin and coriander powder.
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi
- 2 tbsp cashew nut paste
- 2-3 tbsp clarified butter or cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat about 2 tbsp clarified butter that is ghee in a pan on medium flame.
- When the ghee is moderately hot, add whole garam masala like 4 cardamoms, 3-4 small cinnamon sticks, 3 cloves and bay leaves. Saute for few seconds.A nice aroma is oozing out that indicates garam masalas are done.
- Now is next step, add 1 medium onion finely chopped. Stir and cook till they are nicely golden brown.
- Once onions are nicely colored into golden brown, add 4 tbsp onion paste. Add salt.
- cook for 3-4 minutes until the moisture of the onion paste almost dries out.
- Now for garlic and ginger paste. Saute and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add tomato puree. Cook till masalas form a thick paste. Stir often.
- It’s time for adding dry masalas and also make sure the flame is medium. Add 1/4 spoon turmeric powder, 2 tsp cumin powder, coriander powder and red chili powder. Mix very well.
- After few seconds of sauteing the masala get dried, so pour in about 1/2 cup of water. Allow to cook until the dry masalas incorporate well with other ingredients.
- Now add 2 tbsp cashew paste and stir very well. Masalas should be nicely cooked.
- Now add prepared Chicken Tikkas to the thick gravy. Stir well and then add water. Allow them to cook.
- Add kasuri methi and a gentle mix.
- Add cream. Stir and simmer for 2 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Chicken tikka masala is almost done. Now add garam masala powder which is a perfect blend of 3 precious spices they are cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. chopped coriander leaves and a final stir.
- Chicken tikka masala is ready to serve.
- I’m going to serve with zafrani pulao but if u want, you can serve with any rice or bread variety.