Chicken fried rice is an excellent Chinese comfort food which can be served either as a main dish or side dish.
It is believed that the origin of fried rice (Chao Fan) was in the city of Yangzhou in eastern Jiangsu province. But today it has become very popular everywhere. Yangchow (Yangzhou) Fried Rice is still the standard by which all other Chinese fried rice dishes are judged.
Chinese Chicken Fried Rice is a great alternative to steamed or plain rice. Very simple to make yet wonderful in taste. It is made from steamed rice stir-fried in a wok with sauce, vegetables, egg and chicken.
- Cooked rice: 4 cups
- Chicken: 100 gm (cut into thin strips)
- Chopped beans: 1 cup
- Chopped carrots: 1 cup
- Green peas: 1/2 cup
- Chopped spring onions: 1 cup
- Chopped garlic: 8-10
- Eggs: 2 (more if desired)
- Chilli garlic sauce: 1 tbsp
- Dark soya sauce: 2 tbsp
- Oyster sauce: 1 tbsp
- Aginomoto or MSG (Mono sodium glutamate): 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- White pepper powder: 1 tsp
- Oil: 7 tbsp
- Apply little oil in your hand and rub the rice between your fingers to remove clumps. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Fry the chicken pieces until they turn to golden brown. Transfer in a bowl.
- Heat another 4 tbsp oil again. Sauté onions and then garlic for 2-3 minutes until they turn to slightly golden brown.
- Add chopped beans, carrots and peas .Cook until they are soft. Don’t overcook them.
- Beat an egg slightly.
- Push up the cooked vegetables to one side of the wok and add the beaten egg.
- Scramble the egg and then mix up with rest of the vegetables.
- Add chicken pieces and combine thoroughly.
- Also add Chili garlic sauce, dark soya sauce and oyster sauce.
- Now add cooked rice and stir fry for 3-4 minutes over medium-high flame. Cook it fast.
- Add little salt (if required), pepper, MSG and spring onion. Mix it well.
- Chicken fried rice is ready to serve.
- Garnish with strips of egg.
- It is suggested to use cold, left-over rice (1 day or 2 days old) because it does not contain any moisture and reduces the highly chances of getting wet and mushy fried rice. If you can’t wait – spread the freshly cooked rice on a plate or baking sheet and keep it in the air to remove moisture. Then refrigerate the rice for few hours before cooking.
- Another important note is to use long grain rice (Basmati or Jasmine) as it comes out fluffier and less sticky that other types of rice.
- Make sure that the rice is not overcooked.
- You can use any vegetables of your choice.