Dal fry is a moderately spiced North Indian dal.
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 1/4 cup masoor dal
- 1/8 cup bengal gram dal (channa dal)
- 4 tbsp clarified butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp garlic (grated)
- 1/2 tsp ginger (grated)
- 2 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- You can use any lentils that u wanna use or combine two to three types of dal to make it more healthy and nutritious. Here I have combined toor and chana dal.
- What I do is I washed them thoroughly and soaked in enough water for half an hour, pressure cook the dal in 3 cups of water along with turmeric and salt for 2-3 whistles until they are soft and but not too mashy. You can still see the whole pieces of dal. Then little mash them with back of a spoon or this kind of masher. After that your dal is ready. You can make in the pot but it takes longer to cook.
- To begin heat up the ghee. Ghee makes the dal nice and flavorful.
- Add the mustard seeds, dry red chili and cumin seeds. Once they pop and start crackling, add asafoetida. Just stir it.
- Now add onion. Once the onion turns to little translucent, add chopped ginger, garlic, chilies and some coriander leaves. Cook them for 2-3 mins until all the raw flavor gone.Add the tomatoes and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes Until tomatoes become nice and soft. Also add the dry spices. turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder.
- Pour the prepared cooked dal, mix it.
- add ¼ cup of water, mix well. Dal fry usually has a medium to thick consistency. So adjust the amount of water as per your desired consisiency. Stir occasionally.
- My dal has been siimering since 5 mins.
- Remove from flame and take out in a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro leaves.