“Dal Tadka” or “Tadka Dal” is a very popular North Indian side dish where Daal is cooked with onion, ginger, garlic and spices, then a special tempering is made to pour over the hot daal.
But this Tadka dal is prepared in different way like Kolkata fast food center. First green gram (hara moong/ sobuj mug) is boiled, then cooked with right amount of spices and mix in scrambled egg. It best goes with hot roti or paratha.
- Green gram/ moong dal: 500gm
- Tomato: 2 medium sizes (chopped)
- Onion: 3 large ones (chopped)
- Garlic: 7 or 8 cloves (chopped)
- Ginger: 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Green chili: 4 (chopped)
- Kasuri Methi (Fenugreek leaves): 1 tsp
- Red chili powder: 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder:1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1tsp
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Eggs: 3
- coriander leaves (chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Soak the dal in water for an hour. Pressure cook the dal with salt and water for upto 2-3 whistles.
- Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Beat the eggs with salt and make scrambled egg. Transfer it in a plate.
- In the same pan, heat 3 tbsp oil again.
- Add garlic and Saute it.
- Now add onion, ginger and salt. Fry till it turns to golden color.This will take 2-3 mins.
- Add Green chilis, Turmeric powder, Cumin powder and Red chili powder. fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add chopped tomato and green moong dal. Mix them well.
- Add water (about 3 cups). Cook for another 4 -5 mins on low heat.
- Add garam masala, kasturi Methi and finally butter.
- Garnish with scrambled egg and coriander leaves.