Separating egg yolks from whites is a messy task. But sometimes we have to do it for baking (mostly) and some methods of cooking. I watched couple of videos to separate yolks. Among them I loved the bottle trick. So I can’t hold myself back from sharing the trick.
You know I’m too much foodaholic – I love everything related to food; whether it is cooking or tricks I love to try. So I made this video and unbelievably I separated two yolks at a time using bottle. Watch the video below..
Method is very simple. But Couple of things you should remember.
- You have to make sure the egg is cold – just out of the fridge. Cold egg gives the best result. I also tried room temperature egg but most of the time I ended up with broken egg yolks.
- The bottle should bot be hard. Soft drinking bottle is ideal for this because you can squeeze the bottle easily. Make sure the bottle is dry and clean before use.
- Use a shallow plate or bowl.
- Some recipes (baking) need egg yolks in room temperature. So for that case separate the yolks first and then leave it in room temperature.
- Carefully crack the egg onto a shallow plate or bowl. You can crack many eggs at once for separating multiple eggs quickly.
- Take a clean and dry plastic soft drinking bottle. Press out some of the air.
- Place the mouth of the bottle on top of the egg yolk and slowly release your grip.
- The air pressure will push the yolk into the bottle.
- Take out in another bowl. It is ready to use.