Paneer Butter Masala is a dish of soft chunky paneer dunked in a thick rich creamy tomato gravy. It is a super delicious vegetarian dish.
I often make it at home for any small get together or occasion and every time it came out nice. So I decided to share the authentic recipe in this auspicious Holi. It exactly tastes similar like restaurant made Paneer Butter Masala.
- Paneer: 400gm.
- Onion Paste: 4 tbsp (blanched and pureed)
- Tomato puree: 1 cup (blanched and pureed)
- Cream: 200gm.
- Cashew nut paste: 4 tbsp.
- Ginger paste: 1 tsp.
- Garlic paste: 1 tsp.
- Butter: 4 tbsp.
- Oil: 1tbsp.
- Whole garam masala: 3 cardamom, 6 cloves, 2 cinamon sticks, 2 bayleaves.
- Kasoori methi: 2 tsp (crushed).
- Salt and sugar to taste.
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Kashmiri red chili powder: 2 tsp.
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp.
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander leaves: 1 stick finely chopped.
- Fresh cream: 1 tbsp.
- Butter: 1 cube.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Fry the paneer pieces til they are golden brown in color. Soak them in warm water so that they become soft.
- Now heat 3 tbsp butter with oil in a kadhai.
- Add whole garam masalas.
- When it crackles, add boiled onion paste, ginger and garlic paste. Saute it for 1 -2 minutes until its’ raw smell go out.
- Now add turmeric Powder, kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder. Saute the spices well for 1 minute. At the same time we also add salt and sugar.
- Add tomato paste and mix it with masalas. Cook on high flame til oil leaves the masala.
- Add cream and kasoori methi. Stir well. Cover the pan and cook over low flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Add water if required.
- Put the soaked paneer pieces. Cover it again so that the juice of the gravy can get inside the paneer keep it on simmer for 2-3 minutes. Finally add chopped coriander leaves.
- Garnish it with fresh cream and butter.
- Serve hot with Indian bread or rice.
- To make Home-made tomato puree, boil the red ripe tomato for 5-6 minutes. Peel the skin and eyes. Cut the tomato in small pieces.Now grind the tomatoes in a grinding machine. Add little garlic paste, salt and sugar to taste.
- To make onion paste for this recipe, boil the onions for 3-4 minutes. Cut in small pieces and make puree by using grinding machine.