Plain Pulao is very simple, light and needs less time to prepare. It is not as heavy as other pulao recipes but its’ flavor, aroma and simplicity makes it extra-ordinary, delicious and can be served with any veg or non-veg curry.
The best part of the recipe is it does not contain any onion or garlic. So the people who don’t like onion and garlic, they also can eat it.
It is also perfect for office lunch box and kids lunch box.
It needs very simple ingredients.
- Basmati rice : 500gm.
- Water: 1 litre.
- Milk powder: 3 tbsp
- Ginger juice: 1 tsp
- Green chillies: 2-3
- Clarified butter/Ghee : 2 tbsp
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves : 2
- Cardamom: 6
- Cloves: 6
- Cinnamon sticks: 3
- Jayphal and javitri powder (nutmeg and mace): 1/4 tsp
- Kewra water: 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts: 8-10
- Raisin : 10-12
- Salt and sugar to taste
- First take any good quality basmati or long grain rice. Wash it properly to remove dirt, give it 2-3 rinse and soak in the water for 30 minutes. Then drain the excess water and leave it as it is.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee/ clarified butter with 2 tbsp oil. You can also use regular oil or butter, but I prefer to use ghee/ clarified butter because it adds an extra flavor and texture to the rice.
- When oil is enough hot, add whole spices (cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves).
- When it starts crackling, add green chillies. Sauté it for few seconds.
- Now add water (exact double of the rice).
- At the same time add milk powder, ginger juice, salt, jayphal and javitri powder (Nutmeg and mace powder) and sugar. Wait for couple of minutes to bring it to boil.
- When it just comes to boil, put the rice in. Let it boil again.
- Now add kewra water, cashew nuts and raisins.
- Cover the pan and keep the flame low for 20 minutes. In the mean time don’t open the pan because if you remove the lid, the flavor will escape and you can’t enjoy the pulao.
- Garnish with fried onions and serve it.
- You should soak the rice for at least 30 minutes. If you’re in hurry, you can use slightly warm water, but never use hot water. Hot water can break the natural texture of the rice where as slightly warm water helps the rice to become soft so that you can cook fast.
- Water is very important ingredient to make any Kind of Pulao. The ratio of rice and water always should be 1:2 i.e, If you have 1 cup of rice, you should add 2 cups of water; exact double of the rice.
If you have old rice, then you should put 1 and 3/4 cups of water.