Idli-Dhosas are daily staple foods in Hyderabad as well as in the entire South. As I have been staying in Hyderabad for past 4 years, I also start preparing and loving those dishes, even they become now our favorite breakfast menus because they are simple, quick and healthy. But you have to plan ahead to make them. Once they are ready (soaking & grinding) you can keep them in the refrigerator for few days and prepare when your family demands.
Ooops! You surely start wondering why i’m telling the story of Idly-dhosa where the title of the post is spiced ras vada?
Ok, I’m gonna make it clear. Last time when I was making batter for my idly- dhosa, suddenly it came in my mind i.e. why not I save some of the batter of urad dal to make ras vada? Sounds different, at least it will satisfy our sweet tooth for next couple of days.
Yes It’s true. Sometimes we feel so helpless to keep replying of ” what else are there to eat” or “I would like to eat something now. Anything other than rice and all. Something sweet”. I know this is the every family’s common scenario.
So I think and do. I saved some of the urad dal batter to prepare ras vada on next day. These ras vadas are pretty much different than conventional recipe because I have added some other flavorful spices which are not commonly used to make ras vada.
So guys, here I’m presenting my style “Spiced Ras Vada”.. Hope you will like it.
Split Black Gram Dumplings Soaked in Sugar Syrup.
Ingredients you need:
- 2 cups of Urad Dal
- Crushed black pepper, and Saunf (Mouri)
- Sugar 1/2 kg
- Little salt
- Cardamom for flavoring the syrup
- Oil for frying
- Soak the dal in water for 4-5 hours. Grind to a paste like consistency with adding water (not too much) into a smooth paste. Sprinkle saunf and crushed black pepper on the batter.
- Heat enough oil and deep fry 1tsp batter at a time to make the vada. Fry till the vada is golden brown in colour.
- Meanwhile boil Sugar in water to make the syrup. Add cardamom powder for flavoring.
- Immerse the hot fried vadas into the hot syrup .
- Serve as a delicious snacks or simply as a dessert !!