I used to make suji halwa anytime at home because of cooking easiness. The recipe calls for very simple ingredients such as semolina, sugar, ghee or oil and some spices that is easily available at home. If you are calorie conscious then cut down the ghee and add little oil. But it tastes awesome when you add a good amount of ghee.
Suji Halwa is also known as Sheera in North India and Rava Kesari in South India. It is often prepared during religious festivals as offering (prasad) to god. It can even be a delghtful treat for unexpected guests visit your home.
You can make lots of variations and more rich by adding milk, egg, saffron, nuts, fruit chunks (pineapple, apple) and so on.
- 3 cups of semolina (also known as suji or rava)
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp cardamom or elaichi powder
- 2 bayleaves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp oil
- Some cashewnuts (kaju)
- Raisins (kismis)
- Water as needed
- Heat 1 tsp oil and fry cashew nuts until they just change color slightly and keep it aside for later garnishing.
- Now heat remaining oil with 2 tbsp clarified butter. when oil is hot turn the flame to medium-high and add suji . Mix and roast it until it turns to golden brown and a beautiful faint aroma spreads out in the kitchen..
- keep stirring otherwise the suji/semolina can get burn from the bottom.
- add water on the suji. The water should be double of the suji.
- Pour slowly otherwise it can splash on ur skin.
- Keep stirring until all the water absorbed.
- now add sugar, raisins and a pinch of salt. mix well.
- sugar makes the mixture little runny consistency.
- Stir until consistency becomes thick.
- When the suji does not stick to the pan, indicates it’s done.
- Add ghee to enhance richness.
- End up with cardamom powder.
- brush little ghee on the serving dish
- Pour the halwa on it.
- Spread the halwa evenly until flat.
- Suji halwa is ready. Enjoy with luchi/ puri
- you can serve it as it is or garnish as u wish. I’m telling you very simple garnishing what we mostly do at home. Cut in a shape like barfi. Put one cashew nut on one barfi and scatter some raisins on the top. Actually garnishing is up to you. put pistacho, almond, walnut anything – Whatever u like, just go ahead and do it. Now it will go in the refrigerator to set or cool it on room temperature so that the barfi can come out easily.