I think no need to introduce what is Tandoori chicken. Temptingly delicious tandoori chicken is very popular Indian item because of its’ blazing hot appearance and unique taste.
The nicest thing of this is smokey flavor which it gets by tandoor( traditional clay oven).
However, since many people don’t have a tandoor in their kitchen, they can do it in microwave following this video.
All you need to do is – get the ingredients from store and marinade the chicken in advance so that you can prepare it in jiffy.
Only 30 minutes it will take to complete cooking.
Here is the video recipe with content to follow:
- 1 large chicken approx 1 kilo, cut into 7-8 pieces
- Curd: 200gm
- Kashmiri red chilli powder: 2 tbsp
- Cumin powder: 1 tbsp.
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp.
- Garam masala powder: 1tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Kasouri methi or Dry fenugreek leaves: 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste and pepper 1tbsp
- Mustard oil: 3 tbsp
- Butter for basting
- Lemon juice: 2 tbsp
- Red food color: 1/4 tsp
- Before start cooking let’s prepare the chicken by trimming all visible excess fat and make sure the chicken is pat dry.
- Now using a fork, prick all over the flesh of the chicken. Then, using a sharp knife, cut slashes where flesh is thicker. It will help the marination to penetrate.
- Now in a small bowl, make a mixture of 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder and 1 1/2 tsp salt and rub the mixture over the chicken wherever the cuts are there. Set aside for half an hour.
- While chicken is resting let’s prepare the hung curd which we’ll be using for 2nd marination. Hung curd is nothing but a well drained curd. Take a bowl. Put the curd in a strainer and keep it on that bowl. Let the excess liquid to drain out. Keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, Transfer the hung curd in a large bowl. Add cumin powder, coriander powder, remaining red chili powder, garam masala powder, ginger-garlic paste, remaining lemon juice, pepper powder, kasouri methi and red food color. Mix them well.
- Apply the mixture over the chicken. Marinate for overnight in refrigerator or minimum of 4 hours for best results. Do not marinade for longer than 2 days. You should remove the chicken from the refrigerator before 30 minutes of cooking
- After 8 hours, apply 3tbsp mustard oil and mix. It gives a nice coating and that way the marination holds the chicken well.
- You can also use any veg oil. but this mustard oil adds a nice authentic Punjabi flavor.
- Place the chicken on the grill rack and put a microwave proof bowl or tray under it to catch dripping.
- Cook on combination-2 mode for 10 minutes.
- Flip the pieces after 5 minutes through cooking time.
- When done, Baste the chicken with butter.
- Then grill for 20 minutes, repositioning the pieces frequently.
- You also need to Baste the chicken 2-3 times for even coloring.
- Tandoori chicken is ready.
- Sprinkle little chaat masala powder over it and serve with green chutney, salad and lemon wedges.